The ghost of Barbara Ehrenreich’s mis-portrayal of Christian Science and Mary Baker Eddy seems to want to haunt the discussion on health and healing for many moons to come. This spectre of the inaccurate description of Christian Science and its founder in “Smile or Die” (“Bright-Sided” in the USA) can be seen in the recent Hadley Freeman article on the healthcare choices of tennis star Martina Navratilova. The Guardian graciously printed a responsive letter to the article’s CS/MBE content in hard copy and web editions of the esteemed, now global, newspaper. The electronic version includes links to christianscience.com and marybakereddylibrary.org which were input by the Guardian editors. This sets a great example that links inserted into a piece on a religious way of life can/should be back to source material.
April 13, 2010 | 3 Comments
Author:Tony LoblI write and speak on spirituality and health from my perspective as a Christian Science practitioner. In addition, I am the media and legislative liaison for Christian Science in the UK and the Republic of Ireland. I studied at the University of Surrey earning a BSc Hons Degree in Modern Mathematics before the impact of spirituality on health caught my attention and re-shaped my career.
Search the site!
This is a blog of the British and Irish media/legislative representative for Christian Science - Tony Lobl - also a representative for Christian Science to pan-European institutions.
To contact Tony Lobl
- Dorian Mattar: I hate to rain on your parade, but there is no evi...
- Sandi Justad: Tony, thanks for so promptly and gently and effect...
- Sandi: I too enjoy walking, and often use that walk for p...
- The King’s Speech – Lionel Logue and the Christian Science question January 7, 2011
- 100 reflections on why Mary Baker Eddy’s life and ideas still resonate 100 years on! December 3, 2010
- Emerging from the shadow of the Holocaust – my three transitional moments January 27, 2011
- HOPE AND FAITH IN A MINOR KEY? A SATURDAY THOUGHT May 23, 2015
- BE THAT LIGHT IN THE STORM! – A SATURDAY THOUGHT May 16, 2015
- LOVING AND LOSING YOUR ENEMIES – A SATURDAY THOUGHT May 9, 2015