The ghost of Barbara Ehrenreich’s mis-portrayal of Christian Science and Mary Baker Eddy seems to want to haunt the discussion on health and healing for many moons to come. This spectre of the inaccurate description of Christian Science and its founder in “Smile or Die” (“Bright-Sided” in the USA) can be seen in the recent Hadley Freeman article on the healthcare choices of tennis star Martina Navratilova. The Guardian graciously printed a responsive letter to the article’s CS/MBE content in hard copy and web editions of the esteemed, now global, newspaper. The electronic version includes links to christianscience.com and marybakereddylibrary.org which were input by the Guardian editors. This sets a great example that links inserted into a piece on a religious way of life can/should be back to source material.
April 13, 2010 | 3 Comments
Author:Tony LoblI write and speak on spirituality from my perspective as a Christian Science practitioner. I am also the media and legislative liaison for Christian Science in the UK and the Republic of Ireland. I studied at the University of Surrey earning a BSc Hons Degree in Modern Mathematics before the impact of spirituality on health caught my attention and re-shaped my career.
Search the site!
This website features articles by Christian Science media representatives in the UK and the Republic of Ireland.
For contact details of a national or regional media representative, please copy and paste the following URL: http://www.christianscience.co.uk
To contact the District Manager's Office:
- Romelia Hindle: Always great thoughts with interesting pictures to go with it. Thanks aways for that. Love Romée.
- Sandi: This reminder is very much needed, locally and world-wide. One infinite God, good, trumps egos and fears, negative expectations…
- Sandi: Despite the doom and gloom, economic chaos and domino predictions of the "analysts," the Love that safely leads one and…
- The King’s Speech – Lionel Logue and the Christian Science question January 7, 2011
- 100 reflections on why Mary Baker Eddy’s life and ideas still resonate 100 years on! December 3, 2010
- Emerging from the shadow of the Holocaust – my three transitional moments January 27, 2011
- Higher bonding! A SATURDAY THOUGHT August 27, 2016
- The educational value of solitude! A SATURDAY THOUGHT August 20, 2016
- Seeking and finding our blessing! A FRIDAY THOUGHT (AND SATURDAY EVENT) August 12, 2016